Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Putting my Cameo to work

Well, I've had my Cameo almost a year now, purchasing it on the day it was released for sale in the UK.  I bought it from Graphtec where Hayley West of Create and Craft fame had been demo-ing it.

I'd already purchased a Cricut expression a few months earlier because I wanted an electronic cutting machine that was a bit more of a workhorse than my lil' ol' original Quickutz Silhouette machine.  Had I known that the Cameo was due to be released, I might never have even bothered with a Cricut because I've only used it once.

Not the case with the Cameo - I've been able to be inventive and creative with my designs but know I have a long way to go before I consider myself an expert.  However, I would say that I'm more than a beginner with the software, because I am extremely computer competent and if there is anything I am unsure of, I will play about and try and sort it myself before running to the Internet for video tutorials etc.

To this end, I have been able to develop a couple of my own files which I have been able to put to good use on several projects already...here are the first two, which I've managed to post already: here and here and still have a 3rd card which I made with the same design papers - which completes my April 'trilogy' of cards - I'll post the 3rd at a later date.

However, the one I am posting today and entering into the 2nd ever Cameo Spotlight challenge where they are asking us to use 'numbers' in our projects, is a more recent card which I made for my Auntie to give to her only son (my cousin) for his 50th.  If you are interested, please see their inspirational blog for further information on the challenge and the rules.


The brief from my Aunty was "he likes canal boats" (aparently he has one).

So, I sourced some artwork - the traditional paintings that they have on the sides of the cabins etc is similar to the kind known as 'one stroke painting'.  On canal boats/barges, they tend to keep the colours minimal and bold - preferring red, green, orange, black, white - and this is why my card was based on these colours.  The cameo cut out the book pages, the lacey ovals, the rolled roses - which I chose to depict the one stroke roses in the artwork.

Anyway - the composition of the card is as follows:

A4 card blank covered with sheets of A4 red paper.  2 layered book pages - bottom one with traditional canal boat artwork on, the bookpage has a text overlay on. Stuck on the top (one on each page) are 2 lacey ovals in red cardstock, the left hand side has a painting of a canal boat approaching (or coming away from) a bridge, and the right hand side has a sentiment on - with a watermark of the traditional canal boat painting of flowers. 

Inside the card (which actually functions as tent fold card) is a vellum insert watermarked with the canal boat painting, and overlaid with a 'Happy Birthday' sentiment.  On the front again, there is a layered '50th' and a layered 'son' greeting with rolled roses in primary colours to add a bit of detail.

My mum received a phone call from my Auntie who paid compliment to the card (again) after she had given it to my cousin at a birthday dinner.  Apparently he was really pleased with it - and said that it 'ticked all the boxes'.

I was pleased with it - and it was certainly something different and at first, a difficult brief - but all turned out well in the end.

Again, I will be entering this into 'The Cameo Spotlight Challenge #2' - Numbers.

Thanks for your visit - and hopefully a comment.

bye for now

Paula x x x 

6 comments:

  1. Oh its beautiful hun, he will love it, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula! The image of the canal boat is lovely. Your Aunty's cousin will really appreciate how thoughtful you are to create a card for him. So glad you played along with us at The Cameo Spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love that you shared your creative process, Paula! Part of the fun of the Silhouette is to play with the software and make your own designs:) Thank you for joining us in the Cameo Spotlight challenge! Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you "custom designed" this for your aunt - so personal and thoughtful! Thanks so much for playing with us a The Cameo Spotlight - we're so glad you did!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is fabulous Paula. Love the design and colours and the image is great. Have a great day.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a gorgeous card Paula. All the elements you have used come together to make a fabulous card. I am sure your cousin will be thrilled.
    Thank you for becoming a follower of my blog. I am now going to follow yours.
    Hugs Sharon. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your super scrummy spangly comment and for spending your valuable time letting me know what you think...

Crafty hugs, Paula x x x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails