Friday, 24 August 2012

Cardmakers Delight - and mine!!!

So lovely readers,

A short while ago (around about May actually), Tracy from Cardmakers Delights randomly got in with me and asked me if she could send me some toppers, and if so, would I make some samples out of them and show them on my blog...

Well, it's rather remiss of me not to have done a post about this earlier because, after a few 'what's the catch' emails from me, and a few reassurances from Tracy, I agreed - mainly because it was something different and something that gave me a bit of incentive to make some cards for no other reason (something which I used to struggle with to be honest).  I feel that I usually have to have a purpose for the card, otherwise it just feels like a waste of stash, bling and a card blank.

Anyhow, I actually really enjoyed using the toppers and making some very different cards.  I'd asked her to send  me some shabby chic/vintage ones - but stipulated that I didn't want any of those with 'real' faces on - you know the ones, photos from bygone times - of people that are long dead.  I didn't want to make cards with faces of people I didn't know, because I couldn't be sure that those people actually gave permission for their mugshots to be in such a public arena.  Yes, they could have been models, but also, they could be relatives of someone who once showed a photo and somehow ended up on a postcard.  Photos did that kind of thing when they were first being taken - back in the day.  Anyway, that's just one of my little idiosyncrasies...

Here are the cards - in no particular order, but all toppers are supplied by Tracy from Cardmakers Delights - click HERE to have a look at what she has on her website (even though I have masses of CD's for crafting - I rather enjoyed doing these - and would do more if asked ((that's if Tracy likes them)...

this was a bit of a challenge, as making a mans card is challenging enough - even when you make if from a set and you know you have all the matching stuff - but I didn't know what I'd got that would do the image justice - I am happy with how it turned out - but I think I'd do it differently if I had to do it again - or something similar.  A true challenge for me.

Now this was always going to have a doily behind it as soon as I saw it.  I love the colour of the roses and the butterfly, plus the old type face that says 'Post Card' - sums up vintage all over to me.

The papers used were from a collection of 6x6 K&Co pads that I have.  The ornate corner is a cuttlebug die, the sentiment is from stash.  Just above the right of the postcard is a vellum butterfly which I covered with stickles.You may just be able to make it out on the smaller picture.

This has to be my favourite out of all the cards I made.  I LOVE the corset with the flowers coming out of the top - but especially love the colour combo of the vibrant pink, the dusky aqua and the grey.  The green colour I used to marry up with this topper is a Bazzill cardstock called 'Sea Glass'.  I had some scraps left over from a wedding stationery commission I did recently.  The bottom later with the pattern on is actually a stamped image I'd done on a scrap piece of paper - it's been hanging around in my scrap file for months and months... It's an Anna Griffin Stamp that I stamped in a gold colour - it's not even embossed.  I've distresses it with Worn Lipstick from Mr Holtz.  The sentiment is from a box full of mixed sentiments I got from QVC a couple of years ago - they're Kanban and just came in an A5 clear box.  I've matted and layered the topper onto hot pink cardstock which I got from The Papermill Shop years ago - when they actually had shops you could walk into and select your own box full of papers/card.  The flower in the top right corner is from My Craft Studio, Paper Flower Expert - a die cut carnation, which I think looks really nice on this card - somewhat over sized, but perfect.  The little butterfly was die cut on my Silhouette Cameo whilst cutting something for the wedding stationery as its the Sea Glass cardstock again. I tend to fill in any gaps with little butterflies or flowers.   Across the centre is ruffled seam binding in Ochre, and the corners are done using the cuttlebug ornate corner die, as before.  Yep, this is my favourite.

Just one more for this post actually - I'll save some other for another post at a later date - but worth waiting for.

This one proved to be a bit of a design dilemma for me.  An iconic image in some very different colourways (which I loved, incidentally), it's just that I didn't seem to have anything to match it.  I wanted to pull out the green from the diagonal cross to mat the topper on.  Nothing I had worked, so I tried to colour match best I could by just drawing a rectangle in Serif software, and filling it with a colour I chose from the colour wheel.  It's not exact, but its not too bad a match that it looks too daft.  Next dilemma - how do I make this look?  I went for a fresh but shabby chic look by choosing to sit it on a doily - no additional colour added.  I'd made the crowns for another project (which I'll post later), so thought they were appropriate for the topper - and the time was right too.  It was around the Queens Jubilee that I made these cards, so it felt the appropriate thing to do.  Because of the fresh colours of the topper and the colour of the crowns, I decided to cover my card base in a baby pink paper with white dots.  Finished it off with some card candy in pink, and 'stickled' that and the crowns.  I love how it turned out, but this had been the biggest challenge.  After all, you have to get the Union flag just right.   The stamped sentiment is from my Anna Griffin set of sentiment stamps, and stamped using Archival ink.

As an aside - and many of you will already know this (you clever people) the flag is only called a Union 'Jack' if it is being flown at sea.  I never knew this until someone pointed it out to someone else on Facebook (not a crafter, no, it was at the time of the Jubilee, I think someone got fed up of people referring to the Union Jack's being waved or something..




I hope you have enjoyed looking at what I did for Tracy - and I hope Tracy is happy with them - only this is her first glance at them too.  If you like the toppers and would like to make your own cards with them - I thoroughly recommend them.  They are a decent weight - a bit like a playing card I guess (I'm sure it's on Tracy's Website somewhere).  What I do know it that they are very reasonable priced.  Not that Tracy told me - I've been to have a peek at them HERE. I know I'd buy them - they'd be great for bulk projects like invitations - or if you are making to sell your cards...  Anyway, just check out the site for yourself - there are some things on there that I didn't get in my little dozen or so bundle - and I've got my eye on some!

Thank you for reading - hope you enjoyed these projects.  I'd love to read your feedback.

Big hugs

Paula x x x

4 comments:

  1. ...gorgeous cards Paula, I especially loVe the shabby chic style of the Union Jack & crown, beautiful...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some truly fantastic and inspirational cards Paula, you have definitely chosen the matching themes just perfectly. I adore every card here, though my absolute favourite is the corset card (such lovely colours). It is clear that you've dedicated so much time and effort in both the actual creation of the cards themselves (that definately shows!), and in the explanatory write-ups too. You have so clearly explained what materials and techniques you've used, which is always so welcome. Thanks for agreeing to test drive some toppers, and for including the linky to my online shop. All SO VERY MUCH appreciated! Sincere thanks, Tracy xxx PS: I would love to share your creations (a link to your blog) on our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/CardmakersDelights may I have your permission for this please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cards Paula. You did good!!!! The colors and designs are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula

    I also made some cards using Tracy's toppers - fab aren't they. Like you, I was a bit sceptical but there's absolutely no catch and such fun to work with too. She's so genuine and I do love those toppers - need to go and buy some once I stop chasing my tail here.

    You did a great job! Now, about those punches?!?!?!?!

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your super scrummy spangly comment and for spending your valuable time letting me know what you think...

Crafty hugs, Paula x x x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails