Thursday, 10 November 2011

Autumn at Funky Hand

Well, in the last few posts for Funky Hand, I think I've gone through just about all four seasons!  Today is my turn to post my challenge card on the Get Funky challenge blog. 

It's been all go recently what with the recent release of 'Happy Happy Birthday' and the launch of that on Create and Craft (back in September, when Leoni showed my little stationery set folder)... I taped the shows and showed them to my Mum - I think she went all proud.  It was fun because I was taking the mick out of those shows that show somebody gathering all their family round the TV after having a party with the full works, and when it comes too, they've either been 'cut out', severely edited - or it was only ever a bit part that the 'actor' had played up!  Well, apart from my Mum, my lovely neighbour who is also a friends Mum.  Anyway, she watched as I showed them one of my projects and she loved it so much, she ordered one for a friend.  I've made two now so she can choose from either one.  Anyway, apart from 'Happy Happy Birthday', Anice - Lovely lady who is the designer and owner of Funky Hand quickly released the next CD - '12 Crafters Crafting'.  There's a clue in the title as to what is the content of this CD - can you guess what it is yet?

Right... back to this months challenge card (i'd forgotten what I was doing for a moment!).  The lovely Amanda set the theme on the 15 October challenging us to make card that was reminiscent of October, be it the colours you use or an October theme (Halloween by any chance?)...

Well, I had a couple of options to show - but my camera is broken so i've not been able to take any pictures of one of my projects.

As it stands, I've had to take a picture of it on my phone so will apologise in advance if the quality is somewhat lacking.

I decided to show my card that has autumnal colours in it and has got to be my favourite colour collection from the 'Craft The Year Away' CD.   I've also used a digi from that CD too which is the pram, and the reason I've used the pram is because my best friend has told me that her daughter has announced that she's pregnant - with baby number 2, so I did a little card to congratulate the three of them (Daughter, Son-in-law and grandson of my friend).

On the worksheet area of the CD, I loaded up three papers (brown, the cream and the unusual striped one). 

I then reduced them to a quarter of the page size (A6) then dragged the image on the pram four times.  To make sure you re size everything to exactly the same size, click on each image while holding down the 'shift' key, and then drag one of the corners to re size as desired.  This re sizes all four at the same time.  Each image of the pram were then dragged on to each of the quarters of the page - as follows:


You can see that once I have selected all four images that only ONE box appears around them all - also, the bottom right square on the box has turned green.  This is because I clicked on it so I could re size the box, which basically means that all four of the images get re-sized at the same time.  You can see all the other great digi stamps to the left of the workspace - well actually, that's not half of them judging by how far the scroll bar has still got to go down the digi-stamp page!

So, after printing the above out - which is only one click in the programme (then it brings your own printer option box up), I cut each of the prams out, but the plain white one was kept intact with its white background as that was to be its mat too (you'll see what I mean when you see the card).

After snipping up all the elements from each of the coloured images - wheels, body, canopy/hood, frill... I started playing around by placing them on the white version - I was seeing which combination would work the best.  For those who aren't aware, this is what paper piecing is.

I didn't want the card to look either too masculine nor too feminine either  because when all said and done, no-one knows what the sex of the baby is, and its not due until late May 2012 anyway.

The greeting on the card is the congratulations banner, which I placed over the striped paper to get exactly the look I wanted.  I then matted the finished image onto the multi-coloured polka dotty paper from the same collection to bring the look together.

Even though the collection is called 'January Blues', I personally think that it is full of the warm colours of Autumn and the collection remains my favourite on 'Craft The Year Away'.

You still have 4 whole days in which to join in - and if you can't because you don't have any Funky Hand papers to craft with - particularly any autumnal colours, Anice has kindly designed a freebie especially for the challenge.  In order to qualify for the challenge - you only need use this backing paper in some way on your project with anything else you have from your stash.

Here is a thumbnail of the freebie - which you can download by going HERE:


Here are the bits left over after I did the hack job on all three samples (enough to make 2 more prams, but nothing to mount them on):


Looks like child's play!

Here is my finished card complete with greeting:



So there you have it, a very different kind of card for the autumn theme - got the colours about right, but I have to add that the news of the impending birth was announced in autumn.  Actually, I think its a good name for a girl and I'm pretty sure that I've heard someone call their kid that already...

Thanks for coming to take a look at what i've been up to (nothing much since the NEC last Friday - cannot believe it's a week since we were there.)  I've some photos to share from that little jaunt anyway.

Be sure to check out Amanda's post HERE and read all the rules before you join in the challenge... (well, there's only one, which is to use something by Funky Hand on your project - and there's no excuse because I already told you (above) that there is a freebie for those who don't have anything by Funky Hand already.)))

Happy Crafting

Paula x x x

2 comments:

  1. This is fab Paula! Love how you did this.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula this card is soooo cute - sorry it's taken me so long to get over to leave a comment!
    btw, the Memory Box winter tree die (as on my card)- this was the first time I'd used it and I was pleasantly surprised at how easily it came out of the die - I guess you've found, like me, that some dies just don't want to let the paper go - it drives me nuts that so many are really and difficult to prise apart

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your super scrummy spangly comment and for spending your valuable time letting me know what you think...

Crafty hugs, Paula x x x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails