Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Get Funky DT Card/s for September's Challenge

Hi there one and all

Thanks for coming by to find out what I've been up to! 

Well, this post is all about the Get Funky challenge that was set in September - on the Funky Fifteenth!

I'm all excited about this challenge as it's a nice and easy one - after all, Birthdays are the most popular cards we make as crafters (I recon - this is based on no sound evidence except in my head) - so I was actually on a roll with this one.

The very lovely and talented Jenny started this months challenge off HERE to coincide with the launch of the very latest of the Funky Hand Papercraft Factory CD's aptly named 'HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY' - in the meantime, the design team have been entertaining our eyes and stirring up our crafting juices with their fabulous projects - wow, there are some corkers this month.  Well for me, I've just played it safe and done a couple of cards for you.  I was on too much of a roll to stop at just the one though - and truth be known, I didn't stop at two either!!! ;o)

Here is the first one I've brought here for you:


This might look like I followed a sketch - but truth is, I was at this layout for ages - and wish I had have followed one, but I was really happy with how it turned out.  This is nice, pink and girly and suitable for a girly girl young or old.

The next one is quite a bold one in contrast to the first one.  This is the front of the card which is a square gatefold:
inside the card:

I'll show you the rest of the cards I did in another post. In the meantime, I want to share a secret with you.    I have used scraps on all of the cards I made and haven't purposely printed anything off for these two cards (although I had pre-planned the sentiment).  You see, when I first got the CD, I had been having printer problems, so my sister kindly lent me her spare one until I got sorted again.  So just in case, I thought I would print off a few of the design papers.  I'd also printed loads of the digi stamps off  in various sizes, and did most of this way back when we first received the CDs in order to produce our samples.  I currently have quite a boxful of sentiments now, but those little corner digi's are another thing.  I became a bit addicted to them so printed them out in other colours by shrinking the design papers on the workspace... I think that they make such a difference to a card... give it a try - try your design with, then without a corner - you don't even need to do all four - and you'll soon see what your card was missing. I now have a small bag of corners done ready in different colourways, but there are that many, I haven't even scratched the surface yet.  Here is a screenshot of the workspace in the programme where I have put some corners on and demonstrated that they are re-sizable and that you can shrink the design papers behind them so that you have corners that co-ordinate with your card or project.  Imagine what you can do with these if you play about and arrange loads of them 'Barbara Gray' style - you could Mosaic them on a square space... anyway - here is what they look like:


All you do to get the digi you want on the workspace is to click and drag with your mouse.  It really is that easy.

If you want to create a mirror image of the corners so they look OK in all four (not being symmetrical, they may look a bit odd as they are), you may have to do this using your printer set up.  However, Canon printers don't have this facility (well mine doesn't anyway), so instead, you have to tell the printer you are printing on Tee-shirt transfer paper - which needs to be printed in mirror image - and that's the way to do it.  If you want any of the images printed out in a mirror image for what ever reason - just select tee-shirt transfer paper in the drop down menu (rather than plain paper or photo paper - whatever you print on regularly).


Thankfully, I now have a new printer (after first receiving one with the belt unattached), so then had to wait for another one (I've really not had much luck in the last few months with printers - but I've now run out of inks that came with the 2nd new printer. 

Since I started writing this post, I've managed to connect my CIS (Continuous Ink System) up.  Mind you, I didn't think it was going to play ball because the colours just wouldn't come through... after what seemed a million nozzle checks and head cleans, I've got it going - hopefully that's me sorted for a while - I did start to feel a bit cursed on the printer front and wondered how on earth I would print the funky and gorgeous backing papers that Anice designs for us at Funky Hand.  In the meantime, having no printer certainly encouraged me to make use of what I'd already printed - and then again, I've got loads of paper pads and there's always the stamps I have - (over 50% of them have never even been within a sniff of an ink pad).  Of course, this is complete and utter worse case scenario!!!

I don't know about you, but I think that you can achieve a sort of CAS style with the most busy of colourful of design papers.  The key is how you use it and not using too much that it takes it being too busy to be CAS.  I'm probably talking a load of rubbish really, but isn't it all about fun and experimenting?  My CAS may not be some one else's CAS - someone else's busy may be my norm... it's about what works for you at the end of the day.  Ellis just said something on C&C "one mans meat is another mans poison".  How true is that!

Just as a reminder, both my cards have been made with the Birthday Girl and Birthday Gal collections respectively, but these collections can quite easily be used together.

If you fancy taking part but have never taken the plunge before and haven't got anything by 'Funky Hand' to be able to join in, go HERE where you will find a very generous freebie from Anice, the designed of all the Funky Hand CD's and papers.  There are only 2 more days in which to be able to obtain the freebie - and also to join in.  You must have entered your card before midnight on the 14th October because on the 15th, another challenge is will start.  Anice creates a freebie each month to download so that you have something FH to enable you to join in.  Sometimes the freebie may be quite general but there are times when it fits in with the challenge theme which is an added bonus.

Just one more thing to note - at least ONE element/item in your project must be from Funky Hand.  If there isn't, then unfortunately (and this is quite sad) - you won't be considered a contender for the prize - winners are announced on the morning of the 15th - just before the launch of the brand new challenge for the month.


Well that's all for this post - I will (and I always say this with good intention) try and post a bit more than I have been.



Happy crafting


Paula x x x

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cards! Love the flower ...how did you make it? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Paula,

    I havent been here for soooo long so Ive had a good little catch up HOWEVER that all came to a resounding stop at the sight of Buddy!

    OMG he is totally ADORABLE! I can see how he melted your hearts so quickly! Have you popped over to my blog to see our new recruit?!

    Just cant wait to see more of the little scamp!

    Super cards! I particularly love the first one! Love how youve framed the sentiment.

    Take care
    Keryn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Paula - as always! Buddy is so cute - no wonder he gets away with so much :)) Bless you for rescuing him! Hugs, and I owe you an email, Di xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, these are lovely Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paula

    You have certainly been hyper productive with this latest CD from Anice.

    Lots of great inspiration from you .. .. you put me to shame!!

    Loving your gatefold card very much.

    Have a great weekend.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your super scrummy spangly comment and for spending your valuable time letting me know what you think...

Crafty hugs, Paula x x x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails