Sunday, 6 March 2011

At last - the blogaversary Prize Draw is Drawn...

 

O M G ... How sorry am I that its taken this long?    Very as it happens.

Now, I hope that this isn't going to end up being a massive post (and i'm sure you don't either), but just too much has been going on with me recently.

Firstly and most importantly was the fact that my son has been quite poorly recently.  So much so that he's hardly been in school during February (who stole February anyway)?

He had been suffering with lethargy big style and could barely keep awake.  it wasn't due to burning the candles at both ends because he'd come home from school and fall to sleep.  have the best part of 13 hours sleep, get up and have a bath - then fall to sleep again just to wake up to go to school.  He also complained of a sore throat etc. etc.  This had been going on since at the very least between Christmas and New Year.  To cut a long story short... he had 3 rounds of blood tests over several weeks.  These kept showing abnormal things up - so as you know if you are a mother - you fear the worst - or is this because of past history or even because I worry too much??? Whatever it is, the doctors were perplexed too.  They'd ruled out glandular fever so what could it be?  

In the meantime - I had to take him back again because of the lethargy and knowing it wasn't glandular fever - plus I wanted to put my mind at ease as to what "C Plasma Rentention Protein" meant as I'd had a call from the receptionist saying the doctor has requested a repeat blood test in 3 weeks.  The doctor examined him and gave him a thorough physical examination - but he said to him, he looked a healthy 14 year old...  I said I just know he isn't well - i'm his mother!  His only other symptoms were headaches and tireness.  So I felt loads better - positive thinking now...  just need to know what the next round of tests bring - the doctor brought the test forward a week so to get it over and done with more quickly.

He had another blood test on 10th Feb - then next day woke up saying he felt really poorly - poorlier than ever before.  DH took him to the docs - he was diagnosed as having a bad bout of tonsilitis and received a prescription for some serious antibiotics.  The blood test came back minus the worrying thing before - but showed up with issues with his full blood count.  Another test a week later - and at the end of his antibiotics and it finally came back OK.  Much to my relief!

I believe that he must have had something underlying waiting to come out seeing as his first test was indicitive of an infection - thank goodness he's ok now - and finally, firmly back at school - and happy to be back too!

Other than that, some other news is that my husband who worked for Auto Windscreens was made redundant.  He actually made the windscreens in the factory in Chesterfield which was also the head office and where the call centre is based.  Someone has now bought the call centre, but the factory had no buyer.  We also believe that some of the fitting centres were bought and will retain the brand name Auto Windscreens.  In the meantime, a former employer got wind of what was happening so got in touch with my husband through the kids on the x-box as our youngest played football with his son.  Hubby is now working for the company again, but will be looking for other, better paid work.  However, in the meantime its better than claiming so he's happy.  He said its also easier on his body as he used to spend 9 hours a day lifting and shifting large transit van windscreens (and the like) and it did take a toll on his body.  He worked on the furnace part that actually bent them to the required shape of the windscreen.  He ocassionally did one- off bespoke windscreens and did one for a Morgan once.

On a personal level, I've been struggling and done very little - to no crafting.  I've struggled with my feet, hands, fingers and thumb and my knees.  My neuropathic pain as a result of my surgery last year has come back with a vengence - so one of my painkillers has been increased in dosage (I'm on 18 painkillers per day, plus the patch) so sometimes I'm fit for nothing.  My ankles and feet are currently swollen - but it is a side effect of the pregabalin that i'm on.  This is the medication that the doc has asked me to increase so it could be that.  I'm going to wear my sexy white stockings that I had when I had my ops (they've got a name but it currently evades me).  The doc advised that it wouldn't be a bad idea considering...  I hope that customs are ready for the amount of 'drugs' i'll be taking with me to Malaga... they're not that exciting though.
A couple of weeks ago, I finally (and reluctantly) said goodbye to my BMW and traded it in for a 18month old Corsa (vrum vrum - c'm on) so that my DS who passed his test in January is able to drive.  No one willing to insure a 17 year old for a BMW, and to be honest, I haven't been driving so its been sat there on the drive... no point in DS buying a car when I might as well buy one but allow him to use or i'd be wasing money).  So we went for a corsa which is brill.  I was actually at the desk in the Vauxhall Dealership when my DH phoned to tell me he'd been called for a meeting - thats when they announced that AW had gone into receivership.  I still went ahead with buying the car because I had the money anyway and I driven a really good bargain so it would have been silly not to go through with it... i've bought extended warranty and a plan for the services and MOT's so should never have a big bill...  Anyway - the good news is that DH got another job offered straight away from a former employer who heard about the fate of AW...

Thinking positively certainly eases the stress - although i'm not saying that things are totally brilliant - but all going in the right direction... its just me now messing things up.

Right - remember that blogaversary draw that a fair few people took part in by commenting HERE.

Well, my first idea was to draw this using the gadget - random generator where you put the numbers in 1-64 for example.  But i couldn't because it wasn't as simple as that.

Some comments had come through several times (that would be our Brenda - Butlers Abroad who was having issues with posting not knowing her comments had published - but they had... several times LOL...

Then there were a couple of commenters who didn't want to take part in the draw although they wanted to leave a comment.  Then there was a couple of commenters that used this blog post to get in touch with me.... it was all it took to confuse me... by the time it came round to my OH doing the grand draw for his birthday - I was totally doolally, then that it the time that DS2 got poorly so it was kind of put back in the list of prioritis for a while.  

All the time i'm moving the parcels around from one place to another and back again, so because I'm going away in the morning, i've decided that once and for all to make the draw -even though it must have been a couple of weeks ago when I decided how it had to be done to be on the fair side.... So, those who commented and wanted to take part had their name written down on a piece of paper.  Then for every person who made a second comment, they got an additional chance by having their name written down again on another piece.



Yesterday, DS2 (fully back to peak fitness), cut all the names out and folded them up.  



mixed them round before pulling one out

So - here is the result of the Derbyshire jury... in third place, all the way from the old USA its (drum roll please)...



Okienurse - who can be found HERE

In Second place, I'm absolutely delighted to announce thata price will be going to bonnie Scotland, to



Carolynne - who can be found HERE at her craft table!

And finally... the moment you have all been waiting for.... the winner of the 2011 Playground Blogaversary Blog Candy is.....



the one and only Crafty Chris... - so her parcel will be winging its way to Belfast while I'm winging my way to Malaga no doubt.

Chris and I go back a long way to when I first started blogging.  We 'met' through Julia's Stamping Ground, and the wonderful feature known as 'WOYWW'... Chris was one of the bloggers who was extremely supportive when I was going through my issue with the tumor and the aftermath of the surgery and without her or other fellow bloggers support - recovery would have been very lonely and a great deal harder.
Well done to all three - but a massive thank you for all those who came by and commented.  Also - thank you again to all my wonderful followers old and new - I look forward to 'meeting' many more of you - please feel free to get in touch via email at any time for a chat... anything goes, as they say!!!


8 comments:

  1. Hi Paula,
    You changed up your blog! :) Cute cute! Well, I'd been thinking that I needed to check in on you and see how you've been doing, so your post is quite timely. I'm sorry your son had been so sick (the only time I hear the word "poorly" is either by you or talking to my mom)... I did grow up hearing the word though.. comes with the territory with a British mother. I'm glad he's well again- I can imagine all the things that start going through your head when they start running tests like that. Thank goodness he's back to his healthy self again. I'm sorry your husband has to deal with all that work stress- seems to be like that everywhere, the worrying about job security and changes all the time. I will keep you in my prayers for all that pain, I'm so sorry you're still having a rough go of it. You always come across as having a degree of cheeriness when you post here, I'm sure it's a challenge. I hope you get to enjoy a little crafty time minus all the crummy pain soon. I'm praying for you, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula thank DS2 for picking my name as one of the winners. I hope DS2 gets to feeling better. It sounds like your week/month has been a very busy one. Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your son being so unwell, and your husband losing his job, you are having a time of it, I am glad to see you are getting a break, off to Malaga put me in your suitcase we can buy clothes when we get there,hehe, Thanks Paula for the gorgeous candy I can play with this while your off in the sun whoppee, speak to you when you get back.
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula am so glad that the big changes are littler and that your baby is better; still horribly perturbed by your suffering though. 18 painkillers and a patch? Good god. I expect you've been down every road really, but have you had a second and third opinion...? I wanna shake someone! Cngrats to Chris, how fun to see a fellow WOYWWer winning. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, you certainly have been through a lot. Glad to hear your son is doing better, now hope all goes well for you. Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula, I am sorry you are feeling rubbish again but really pleased that your Son is better. Thank you so much for giving me 2nd prize, I don't win things very often so thank you again. Enjoy your trip and take care of yourself.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nice, call me out in public will ya??? Lol, I really laughed to see I'd (inadvertently) given you so much trouble!! Very happy to hear that DS2 is feeling much better, and good god, 18 pills a day still! You must rattle when you walk! Hopefully you're enjoying the Spanish sun and relaxing as I type this, will you be home for the 11th, or is that why you've all gone away!!?? Happy Birthday too to DS1 for the 11th also!!!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol! Great post Paula!

    Well done Vickie,Carolynne and Chris! Way to go girls! woop woop!

    I'll be in touch separately ;0

    Keryn x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your super scrummy spangly comment and for spending your valuable time letting me know what you think...

Crafty hugs, Paula x x x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails