Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Back to School Tiddly Ink

Edited to add that I just (over a week since I originally blogged this post) noticed that somehow, I'd repeated my post... when some of the comments were made - I had no idea what my lovely followers and commenters meant... OMG - just read it and the penny dropped.  I truley balme the medication... you don't want to know what else its been causing me to do LOL.. :O)

Hello blogging buddies new and old.

My niece who recently turned three started nursery last week so I decided to mark the ocassion by doing her a card, that hopefully, when she's finished her GCSE's and looking towards the future - (either more education or go in to the big wide world), she'll still have this card somewhere from her Auntie Paula from when she embarked on her journey through 12+ years of school!!


The image is a digi, bought from Tiddly Inks called 'back to school'.  You can view Christy's shop and her wonderful images by clicking here There are lots of cute images in her store of all types and she's adding all the time.  She recently added some cute Christmas ones which I couldn't resist, and can't wait to colour those up.  Christy also designs for Stamping Bella, so some of you may already be familiar with her work if you're not into digi's.  

The image is decoupaged up one layer, then I decoupaged the books again.  I coloured with my Promarkers.  I don't know about you, but something just clicked with me last night when I was colouring this in.  I usually colour each level of my image in my 'best' colouring (lol) - even if i'm not using all of each layer - which you generally don't in decoupage.  Also, I could them all and do all the shading etc., then it dawned on me... if i'm not using all of the image, or showing all of the image i.e. its going to be hidden by the next layer, then whats the point in doing my best colouring, right?  It was hard to do basic colouring on the lower layer, but I figured why should I be bothering with the shading.  I tried to do the best bit of colouring for the bits that are going to be on show. 

Does anyone else work like I was working, or had you already figured it out that there was little point in doing that??? Is it just me then? LOL.

The chalkboard image was a freebie - also from Tiddly Inks and both the background pencil designs are both from my Funky Hand CD "V. Funky" - available from here on the Funky Hand website.  I own all the Funky Hand CD's and have quite a few of the downloads available from the site too, so I highly recommend them.  They're a great source for backing papers - and where else could I have got something so suitable from at that kind of notice...  you could call me a FH nut... Funky Hand rocks!!!

The sentiment is computer generated in 'cool dots' font - I've just gone round the edge with a red Promarker to make it stand out.  

Did you notice how i've not shaded around the image, rather, I've dotted round with different coloured Promarkers in colours used in the image or found in the backing papers.  I saw someone had done it on their cards on another blog and thought it was a fab and fun way of making the image pop instead of using a flat grey - and think it really works on this particular card... you probably wouldn't necessarily use it on an image of an ornate flower or something elegant... but here it seems to work.

The apples were digi colouring images I found by doing a Google search. After I took the picture - I decided to put glossy accents on them to make them look like nice shiney, polished apples - ready for teacher (did anyone you know actually take an apple for the teacher when you were at school - most of the kids I knew just gave our teachers grief LOL?)!!!

Hope you like my card.  Please leave me a message if you've taken the time to read my post - i'd like to say hi in return.

Paula x x x


17 comments:

  1. Great card, lovely colouring. and no, never took - or knew anyone who took - an apple for the teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow hun this is a beauty really love what you have created here I never knew anyone that took an apple for the teacher either hugs cheryl xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Paula Nice to see you back on love the chalk board image of now to check out the shop.
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card Paula, love the papers and the image is great! Your colouring is beautiful and I think it makes sense just to spend more time on the bits that are going to be seen! Have a great week! Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Paula, I'm sure your niece will love it. Great colouring. Nice to see you back making cards. Take care. Kathleen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this post repeated or is it me!! Lol Love the card Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not you Twiglet....I have it 3 times hahaha!!!! This is so lovely Paula & I do hope it gets put in her 'treasure box' X

    ReplyDelete
  8. how sweet, its such a fun card too!!! hope your well. love to peek at the stuff you make xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is soo cute, just the perfect card for her. I love that image and I agree the dots really set it off.
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah a grat card for your niece Paula, love the image :-) When I was at school most of us wouldn't dare give the teacher's grief :-0 but I never went in for giving them apples either - never been one to try to impress LOL
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paula. Thanks for your comments on my blog it made my day as you say "Virtual Hugs!".
    I love this card. I have just bought this girl stamp I thought it was adorable. I love what you have done with her. Thanks for the details too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE glossy accents, I put it on alot of things. It can make a print off the web look like an expensive epoxy sticker!!...Oh and No, you're not the only one that used to colour in the hidden layers of decoupage LOL!! Naomi xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great back to school card, thanks for the comment on my card! =)

    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey just dropping buy cool blog love your school card for your niece good idea with the colouring too! I want my own craft desk!! I share the dining table at the moment and have to tidy away when guests come! Take it easy

    Holly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi ya Paula
    my trimmer is from staples i have only used the guilotine side to use the other side i have to turn it round, my purple cow blades fit it, so far so good, but only had it since sun n not done much crafting.
    Gorgeous card, lovely image awesome colouring, fabby papers & design, sue,x.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really cute. I hope she holds on to it for longer thatn that!
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  16. You spent a ton of time making this card. I have seen you WOYWW gals make cards using digi images and coloring pens (copics and Promarkers) and never knew what the attraction was until recently when someone was talking about shading. I am totally in awe of this, but could never do it right. I do agree with you about the little dots really popping the central image.

    Since I don't color anything, I would not have considered even coloring the images that don't show. I would probably put the next layer in place, but not attach it, hold it up in place, and see what was not hidden. Then I would fill in that area. I'm a bit lazy about those things, I guess, but like you, I don't want anything that might show to stay naked.

    Again, love the card. Hope your niece does, too. And like Twiglet, I read the entire post twice (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am SOOO glad you said what font u used. Ive been wanting to know the name of that for ages, even discribing it to hubby in the very rare chance he knew what it was called.
    Cheers ducky

    Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your super scrummy spangly comment and for spending your valuable time letting me know what you think...

Crafty hugs, Paula x x x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails