Tuesday, 31 August 2010

When a Sympathy card isn't quite appropriate




I have a friend who I met sometime ago when on holiday near Barcelona.  Anyway, we've kept in touch ever since through the odd e-mail and silly joke.  On average, we get to see each other once a year.  She lives in Bedfordshire and ocassionally visits these parts for a weekend away.

She came up a couple of months ago, and while we tried to arrange to meet up, it didn't happen due to the fact that I wasn't well and in a lot of pain at the time, and she had other stuff planned while she was here too.

Anyhow, I learned from her some awful news that her Brother had very recently passed.  Infact, he'd taken his own life which, quite understandably, was devastating.  Devastating despite that my friend and her brother weren't very close, and he'd become disengaged from his family, people and life in general and had turned to alcohol.

I wanted to show her that I was thinking about her, but felt that a sympathy card may not be the most appropriate thing to send.

The embossing folder is 'Leafy Tree' from Crafts Too.  The sentiment is Anna Griffin.  I can't remember where I got the polka dot ribbon from, but I do remember there wasn't a lot on the spool!

I think that this embossing folder has to be one of my favourites and it is such a versatile one.  Extremely effective for cards like this, but easily adapted to bright and cheery cards, and ripe for adding bling to to tree, and also looks good when highlighted with a stamp pad - of any colour or type.

Apologies if you find the photo to be too bright, its sometimes difficult to capture an all white card well.

Thanks for looking.

Hugs, Paula x x x

8 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful card Paula and I think it strikes just the right note in a difficult situation. I think the embossed tree is lovely - must try and find that folder myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card and the sentiment is just right

    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it your not sleeping too well still? I woke up to loads of comments from you this morning! This card is just perfect and how lovely of you to put that extra bit of thought into it. Love that sentiment too! Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful card Paula and just right. Hope you are feeling a bit better! Kathleen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really beautiful card Paula.
    My brother in law recently took his life and it sounds like his circumstances were very similar to your friend's brother. It certainly is tragic.
    Oh, dear, I'm all sad now.
    I'll visit again soon.
    Hugs, Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh thats sad Paula. You have made the perfect card for your friend my lovely X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi hun, this is such a beautiful card and I think it's just right for a difficult situation, I'm sure your friend will really appreciate it.

    Take care chick, hope your pain meds are helping.

    Big hugs, Nicki, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. this card is perfect Paula - I am sure your friend will appreciate it.
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your super scrummy spangly comment and for spending your valuable time letting me know what you think...

Crafty hugs, Paula x x x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails