Saturday, 15 May 2010

Friends and Flowers...

it was my friend's Birthday yesterday - and I knew exactly what I wanted to make her... 
A couple of walls in her dining room are a beautiful poppy red so, inspired by my lovely poppy canvas made by the really talented WIPSO - and purchased from the Sisters Crafty Creations blogshop, I thought I'd make something quite unique.

I bought some calico and some red voile, I have my handmade paper given to me by the very kind Kathy, whose gorgeous flowers I so desperately wanted to make, I thought i'd got everything sorted...  Then I cut some shapes out that I thought were good poppy petal shapes from the voile... and thats where it stopped.  I didn't quite know where to go from there...

Anyway, following my non stop cleaning 'binge' on Monday and partially Tuesday - I was completely done in on Wednesday - and did NOTHING - on both the Doctors and my blogging friends orders...  Thursday came - and so did my Mum to tidy and sort my craft room out (She did a great job), - before I knew it, it was Friday - her Birthday.  No card and no picture - although I did have a couple of things drying that I had made and while these weren't poppy shapes, they were everybit as effective as what I had in my head:



These are two flowers I made using the handmade paper that Kathy sent to me. I've made them slightly different to Kathy but the general principal is the same.  The centre of the flower has been made following Kathy's tutorial.  Glue 2-3 circles of card together (I used my smallest circle nestie, then put some glossy accents on and drop some seed beads in - I'd have used black seed beads had I have got some (although I now have some on order) then put some glossy accents on top... leave to dry then stick to the centre of the flower.

I typed a little friendship poem up in My Craft Studio with a poppy pic in the background which I changed from a black silhouette into a red one and reduced the opacity so that it looked more like a watermark in the background.

This is what my little gift looked like made with the flowers:



This is the card I made (recipe after the pics)


All the patterned papers are printed from the Kirst Wiseman CD 'Colour Burst of fanciful things' - from the Poppy Days collection.  The flowers on the front are from this collection too - I shrunk the image down to 50% then cut with circle nesties.  A larger circle was cut to mount each flower on from the same pattern as the base card.  I put glossy accents on to the flowers in the circles then beads dropped into the centre then left to dry over night.

I cut the grass by hand using my new SLICE knife - the green paper is from a stack of 8x8 papers from DCWV.

The flower just inside the card (to hold the front panel up) was made from more handmade paper and cut using a Marianne Design flower die - the squirly green leaves on the front of the card are from the same die set.  The black strip, sentiment strip and polka dot paper have been edged using Martha Stewart punches.  Gems and cardstock from stash.

Well, it might have been a day late, and might not have turned out like I originally envisaged in my head - but I am more than pleased with the results - and more to the point, my friend liked it and is even putting the frame up on her dining room wall - that in itself is quite flattering.

Do you ever plan to do something then it turns out completely different to what you orignially envisaged - it happens to me quite a lot!!!  As I said in response to a recent post on my friend Julia's blog, most of my stuff are happu accidents - goes to show, when I plan it, it never meets my expectations, so I may as well not expect anything  - then I can exceed them!!! (If that makes sense)!!!

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read this post. Thanks even more if you leave a lovely comment.

Hugs, Paula x x x

21 comments:

  1. What a fab gift Paula- and so personal! I do love the poppies and it's a great frame!! Accompanying card is brill too!! Sounds like your feelling a bit more energetic but don't overdo it!! Love Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card and gift Paula :) and they look poppy colour to me. I do love the flowers you make ;)
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is really special Paula. I'm sure you are thrilled to bits with your efforts and I'm even more certain your friend will treasure it.
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab gift and card Psula your friend will love it. Glad to hear you are listening to orders and taking things easy. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Paula - who needs to plan when you can produce something like that - the framed poppies are lovely and so is the Friendship sentiment! Now chill and bask in the satisfaction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Paula this is fabulous!! The poppies are great - I love poppies too. On your review of it, I ordered the "slice" knife yesterday and it arrived today - that is GREAT service - and on first inspection, it IS fab - thanks for the heads up about it. Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. stunning Paula, your friend will just love it.
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, such a thoughtful and personal gift and card Paula, a beautiful duo, I bet your friend will treasure them.

    Take care, hugs, Nicki, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, such a beautiful gift and card Paula, what a lucky friend to have received such a personalised and made especially by you for her!

    Sounds like you've had a quieter few days!! Thats good news!

    I believe we have some nice weather on the horizon and that wont mean that you can go and redesign your garden though!!

    Keryn x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure your friend will love this. I see you have used your Marianne Designs. Good arn't they? Remember to rest as well! Kathleen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh love these hun,they are just gorjus makes hugs cheryl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic gift for your friend Paula,didn't those poppies turn out well! The poem is lovely and the fact that you have made that for her with that fantastic card,she could not help but be chuffed. Hope you are chilling out this weekend and taking it easy! Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful gift Paula and a stunning card, I love all the bright colours Your friend will be over the moon about them both. Your poppies look great.
    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow thats a beautiful creation and great card too!

    What a special gift!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Paula,
    Stunning work! Your friend is going to be delighted!
    I have given up planning my projects as they always turn out better when I make it up as I go along.
    Hugs, Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I bet your friend loved the picture and the card. I keep intending to make a picture with some of my work but never quite get round to it, I really must give it a go after seeing your results! Know what you mean about the unplanned things turning out well, the congrats on your driving test card I've just posted on my blog is one of my examples of this. I had no idea what I was doing when I started it, I just tore an L in half and went from there!!

    Speak soon

    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paula it turned out fab - well done and I am sure she forgave you for being a day late afterall you are still recovering (aren't you!).
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful Paula to make such a personal card and gift. Your flowers are fantastic and the colours are fab.
    Thank you so much for all your lovely comments on my blog, I am so glad you like my designs!
    Hope you are well and truly on the way to recovery,
    Take care,
    Love Sarita xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Paula your picture is GORGEOUS!! Your friend is going to be over the moon. I know I would & your card is great too. How FAB.xx
    Take care, honey.xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a lovely gift! Your friend must be very happy!
    Cardarian

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh - your friend is gonna LOVE that! I sure would!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your super scrummy spangly comment and for spending your valuable time letting me know what you think...

Crafty hugs, Paula x x x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails