Thursday, 20 May 2010

Birthdays are like Buses...

You don't get one for ages - then they all come at once - especially 50th Birthdays (or so it seems this week)!!

Here is a card that I have done for a colleague who will be celebrating her 50th next Monday.  Debs is a cardmaker herself - although she tends to buy kits from QVC - and boy, does she get some commissions from work - I bet she could retire (well, perhaps a little exaggeration LOL)...


I designed this card using 'My Craft Studio' Professional - the artwork is from the Simply Silhouettes collection.  I made the toppers out of a rose image, printed them out separately along with some grey squares to match the stipes in the DP - then cut the grey mats and the rose toppers out using the nested squares (the ones with the inverted corners - not sure what these nesties are actually called). 

The pink flatback pearls are Prima (from Joanna Sheen) then punched the edge of the card using the MS lace border punch.  The circular sentiment which is dangling from the top bow was printed using MCS again then cut with a circle nestie.  I used my crop-o-dile and put a eyelet in so the hole wouldn't tear, then edged with pink versamagic dewdrop pigment chalk ink.  All the organza ribbon is from stash.

Here is the insert - again, designed using similar elements to the main card - and punched with the same MS punch to tie it all together.


Another of my female friends, Shirley, celebrated her 50th Birthday today.  I hadn't spoken with Shirley for almost 18 months.  Shirley and I know each other through our professional diploma course.  There were three more that made up our little 'gang'.  We all did 2 back to back courses which spanned 3 years in total.  We used to regularly go out for meals - and I'd be the 'entertainment'!!!

Anyway, you know how it is, life happens and before you know it, you've not been in touch for ages.  However, I remembered it was her Birthday on the 18th May - as it would have been my Granddads too.  As I still had a number for Shirley's in my mobile, I text her on the offchance that she hadn't changed it, and wished her a happy birthday.  Low and behold, she rang me to thank me for getting in touch, then announced that it was actually her 50th - I was blown away and hadn't realised so promised to send her a card.  Anyway, we chatted, caught up promised to pop her a card in the post - so I made a card especially for her today. 

Because I like the one I made for Debs so much (the first one above), I made Shirley's very similar:


The insert is the same as the first card - I just printed two out as they are both for 50th Birthdays!

I really love this design so have saved it to use in the future - although with MCS Professional graphics package means there are endless possibilities to design cards; you can either simply design and print them out (like digi scrapbooking) - or you can incorporate all your other techniques by making them hybrid - making your toppers separately (like above)...  I must say - I do like designing digitally and making cards like this - because computers are my thing and I can then use my favourite techniques to finish off the card, giving me the best of both worlds!!!

Anyway, thats the two female 50th Birthday cards taken care of.  I just need to do a male 50th Birthday (for our friend Ian who is the father of the bride on Saturday (he celebrates his 50th on the wedding day), then their older daughter celebrates her 30th Birthday on Monday - oh, and I still have to make a Wedding card yet!!! 

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read my post. Please come back again. 

big hugs, 

Paula x x x

19 comments:

  1. OOOOOOH I LOVE this card, total awesomeness!!!!

    girly elegant lovely :D:D:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cards are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty cards :-)
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards Paula I'm sure your friends will thinks so too.
    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you weren't really posting this at 2 o'clock in the morning, its says 7 hours ago and its just after 9 am now! These are really lovely cards Paula, I love the colours and they have printed out very well. I am loving digi stuff too at the mo especially as I never found that elusive stamp from yesterday! Have a lovely day! Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paula
    glad you liked the email, I had a good old laugh myself because it is so true, cats are funny animals.
    your cards are beautiful and the ladies will love them.
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paula

    There is a 'beautiful blogger' award for you over on mine to collect :o)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cards Paula. I'm sure they will like them. Love Kathleen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards. Am so not computer savvy or confident enough to go hybrid. Perfect for you right now - as you're stil taking it easy - HUH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty cards Paula, youve been busy with the 50th's!

    Hope youve found something to wear to the wedding!!

    Keryn x

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely cards Paula, I'll be designing digitally soon when my craft studio cds arrive - where are they......
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paula - I just love your blog, your updates keep me entertained and I am in awe of your boudless energy and creativity. Have a lovely time at the wedding on Saturday. Our daughter married a couple of weeks ago and it was the most wonderful day! Love n a hug Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Paula those cards are incredible. You should be so proud of yourself for producing such creations and I'm sure the recipients will be DELIGHTED with them.

    Love Paula xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - absolutely beautiful! I think your recipients will be tickled pink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. morning sugar plum this card is just gorjus,so love them all you are so clever you should be really proud of yourself hun,oh when I have finsihed my last 2 bedroooms,I be over to get yours done,ha ha think it comes from being creative,makes you do it perhaps more than someone whos,not oh that does sound crap ha ha well it is only 6am and I have been up since 5am so know you know how I get so much done,mind you if you see the bags under my eyes,anyway hun enough me rambling on,you take care and have a lovely day saturday hugs cheryl xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very beautiful card Paula. Your friend is going to just love it.
    Hope you've had a lovely weekend.xx
    Take care, Gez.xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. 2 beautiful cards Paula :) How nice to get in touch with an old friend.
    Thanks for info about my PC I still need to get an external hard drive but at least I can leave comments on blogs where I couldn't last week. I think some of the problems were caused by the new version of McAfee and it not working with Firefox, at least not on my PC.
    'See' you tomorrow for WOYWW ;)
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cards Paula - really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your super scrummy spangly comment and for spending your valuable time letting me know what you think...

Crafty hugs, Paula x x x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails